The home featured in on our webpage was situated on John St in Sudbury overlooking Lake Ramsey. It was built in 1910 by William Alexander MacLeod, a mining engineer from Scotland for his new bride Florence Northrop. Florence was a niece to Florence Howey and her husband Dr. Howey, (the first doctor to come to Sudbury in 1882). The house was named “Dunvegan” after William’s birthplace in Scotland.
The large tract of land that the house sat on was purchased from Andrew McNaughton, the police magistrate for Nipissing and Algoma, and the house was built by Master Builder Fred Roach.
The photo on the far left is of Florence Northrop as a young lady. She was born in Forest, ON in 1872, daughter of Rev. Charles Northrop of Glasgow, Scotland. Florence is shown in the 1901 Sudbury Census residing with her aunt and uncle, the Howey’s.
The middle photo is again Florence Northrop around the time of her marriage to William MacLeod. She was to become quite an accomplished artist painting nature in water colours and oils. A highly cultured lady, she had graduated from the University of Toronto with a B.A. and wrote poetry, self publishing a work of poems entitled 'Verse and Worse'.
The photo on the right is a gathering for a birthday celebration for Florence and William’s twin daughters, Florence Jean and Elizabeth. (Shown 2nd & 3rd from the left in the middle row). They were born in 1911, the year after their parent’s marriage. Florence was almost 40 years of age at the time and the twins were delivered, of course, by Dr. Howey!
We would love to know the other people in this photo.
Photos are from the private collection of Lynn Gainer.